Nigeria`s anti-graft body detains 12 oil executives
Abuja: Nigeria`s anti-corruption body has detained 12 senior executives of oil firms Noble Corp, Tidewater and Transocean over allegations bribery of up to USD 100 million.
The spokesman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Femi Babafemi said the agency suspected the executives were involved in offering bribes to Nigerian officials and therefore had their travel documents seized.
A firm involved in shipping, Murphy Shipping Company also had some of their officials arrested by the anti-graft body.
Late last year, the oil rich African country`s anti-graft body indicted former US vice president Dick Cheney and Halliburton oil firm where he was chief executive and they agreed to pay USD 250 million fine after negotiations.
Cheney was the chief executive of the energy company when an alleged bribe was paid by its subsidiary KBR to Nigerian officials to secure a contract.
The charges were made against the backdrop of bribes which were assumed to have been paid to some Nigerian officials in connection with the construction of a Liquefied Natural Gas at Bonny Island in the oil rich Niger Delta when Cheney was the Halliburton`s chief executive.
A Nigerian subsidiary of Houston, US based firm, Halliburton was mentioned in the charge.
Earlier, the EFCC had invited officials of the oil service company for questioning in relation to the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks