Nigeria`s finance minister`s mother abducted
Abuja: The mother of a senior Nigerian minister was today allegedly abducted from her residence by a gang of ten armed men, police said.
82-year-old Kanene Okonjo, mother of Nigeria`s Minister of Finance Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, was kidnapped from the palace of the traditional ruler of the southern Nigerian town of Ogwasi Ukwu in Delta state, they said.
Okonjo is the wife of the traditional ruler of the town.
Police spokesman Charles Muka said they arrested a man in connection with the case.
"The man was said to have informed the housemaid that he was in the palace to take the queen mother to somewhere in the town." he said.
Abduction of prominent personalities is common in southern parts of Nigeria with the kidnappers demanding for ransom a few hours later.
Okonjo-Iweala was previously the managing director of World Bank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress