Nigeria`s oil region hit by fresh spill
Abuja: Nigeria`s main oil producing region
has been hit by a fresh spill barely a month after the UN
accused oil giant Shell of seriously polluting the zone during
Residents said the spill which came after a fire outbreak
occurred several days ago along Shell-owned Okordia Rumuekpe
trunkling in Bayelsa state.
While Shell issued a statement saying it was stopped from
repairing the rupture by protesting community women, an
environmentalist Morris Alagoa said the fire has been put out
by the company.
According to him, the rupture which has spread into
many farmlands and remains not cleaned must have been cause by
Last week, Nigeria`s President Goodluck Jonathan set up a
group to review the environmental report whereby Shell was
accused of polluting the area that might necessitate the
highest clean-up in history.
The clean-up would require USD 1 billion and take thirty
years to undertake. Nigeria is Africa`s largest crude exporter
and a member of OPEC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj