Nigeria`s oil region hit by fresh spill
Abuja: Nigeria`s main oil producing region
has been hit by a fresh spill barely a month after the UN
accused oil giant Shell of seriously polluting the zone during
Residents said the spill which came after a fire outbreak
occurred several days ago along Shell-owned Okordia Rumuekpe
trunkling in Bayelsa state.
While Shell issued a statement saying it was stopped from
repairing the rupture by protesting community women, an
environmentalist Morris Alagoa said the fire has been put out
by the company.
According to him, the rupture which has spread into
many farmlands and remains not cleaned must have been cause by
Last week, Nigeria`s President Goodluck Jonathan set up a
group to review the environmental report whereby Shell was
accused of polluting the area that might necessitate the
highest clean-up in history.
The clean-up would require USD 1 billion and take thirty
years to undertake. Nigeria is Africa`s largest crude exporter
and a member of OPEC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next