Nigeria`s President sacks nine ministers
From Abuja: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan today sacked nine members of his 42-member cabinet, including Foreign Minister Ambassador Olugbenga Ashiru, in a major cabinet reshuffle amid tension within the ruling party.
Others affected were Environment Minister Hadiza Ibrahim Mailafa, National Planning Minister Shamsudden Usman, Education Minister Ruqayyatu Rufa`I, Science and Technology Minister Ita Okon Bassey Ewa and Housing Minister Ama Pepple.
Junior ministers sacked are Agriculture Minister Bukar Tijani Borno, Defence Minister Olusola Obada and Power Minister Zainab Kuchi.
Jonathan made the announcement after the weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting held with all ministers and presided over by him.
The president had introduced a Performance Contract Agreement (PCA) with the ministers last August but said the ministers would not be removed based on the assessment.
Minister of Information Labaran Maku told the media after the removal of the ministers that a new list will soon be sent to the senate for approval.
Nigeria is Africa`s largest oil producer and has a population of over 150 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks