Nigeria`s ruling party to hold presidential primary
Abuja: Nigeria`s ruling People`s
Democratic Party`s delegates have started arriving from
across the country to pick its presidential candidate for the
April election amid tight security.
The major contenders are incumbent President Goodluck
Jonathan and former vice president Atiku Abubakar who have
large followers across the country.
The key issue in the primary may be the issue of
rotational presidency which has been the major point of
political debates this election period.
The third candidate is veteran woman politician Sarah
President Jonathan, who is from south, inherited power
from former president Umaru Musa Yar`Adua, who was from north,
after his death last year.
A power sharing agreement within the ruling party
says power should rotate between the north and south every
eight years and Abubakar is challenging Jonathan`s claim that
his aspiration is a continuation of Yar`Adua’s era.
"Over 5000 delegates are expected to decide who
emerges as the presidential flag bearer of PDP for the April
2011 presidential election and accreditation is already going
on at two locations at the International Conference Centre and
the Women Centre," Uche Secondus, the national organising
secretary of the party, said.
Sixty per cent of the delegates would come from the 19
northern states of the oil rich African country recently
troubled by incidents of bombings and killings associated to
ethnicity, militancy and religion.
Over 20,000 policemen made up of regular, anti-riot
and anti-bomb units have been sent to the Eagle Square where
the convention will be held today.
A bomb explosion rocked the same square on October 1
during the country`s 50th independence anniversary killing
several persons and wounding others.
On Tuesday, the three presidential aspirants faced a
panel of evaluators who cleared all of them giving them the go
ahead to contest tomorrow`s primary.
Jonathan was the first to be interviewed by the panel
and he came out to tell the media that the exercise was
Former vice president Abubakar said he was asked about
his return to the party and some critical comments he made
about the party when he contested in the last election on the
platform of an opposition party, Action Congress (AC).
"I think the screening panel is a good panel,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27