Night demos held in Damascus
Beirut: Hundreds of people took part in
night-time protests in the Syrian capital, opposition
activists said on Friday, ahead of "Damascus, here we come"
demonstrations called for across the country.
"Bomb us instead of Daraa, Homs and Hama," cities where
hundreds of civilians have reportedly been killed in a
crackdown on anti-regime protests, the demonstrators chanted
in Rukneddin neighbourhood, according to activists.
Mohammed Shami, an activist in Damascus, in an email to a news agency in Beirut, said they also gathered in Midan, Barzeh and
Jobar districts in solidarity with cities which have been
bombed by government forces.
In Jobar, a small crowd flew the Syrian "revolutionary"
flag, the colours used for two decades between the country`s
independence from France and the 1963 rise to power of
President Bashar al-Assad`s Baath party.
Hundreds chanted anti-Assad slogans in Douma, a northern
suburb, in a video posted online by activists.
"Damascus, here we come" has been aired as the rallying
cry on Friday for anti-regime demonstrations across the
country on the day of weekly Muslim prayers, as posted by
activists on their Facebook page, The Syrian Revolution 2011.
The deadly uprising that has gripped Syria for over a
year, at the cost of thousands of lives, has largely spared
Damascus but in past weeks the bloodshed has also made its
entry into the capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH