Nikki Haley enjoys high national profile: Report
New York: Despite facing criticism that
she is inexperienced, America`s youngest Governor Nikki Haley
has a high national profile and the Indian American leader`s
name is already in the list of future Republican party
leaders, a media report said on Sunday.
Nikki Haley, 39, South Carolina Governor, has built
her governorship on aggressive budget cutting, a relentless
pursuit of job growth and a cheerleader`s enthusiasm for a
state that often finishes toward the back of the pack in
education, economics and health.
Still, critics have raised questions about the depth
of her dedication to transparency and her skills on matters of
politics, if not policy.
"Her understanding of the role of state government
appears rather limited," said the political historian Jack
But, of the nation`s 29 freshman governors, her
national profile is among the highest, an advantage she hopes
to enhance with a memoir, `Can`t Is Not an Option`,
scheduled for release by the Penguin Group in January, the New
York Times said.
Telegenic and direct, Haley is popular with producers
of national news shows. Her digital-savvy young staff issues
YouTube-ready videos that show everything from her cabinet
meetings to the crowning of collard greens as the official
A parade of Republican presidential candidates has
passed through her office in the Capitol here, seeking her
advice and, more important, her endorsement.
She has repeatedly said she is not interested in being
a vice-presidential running mate on the 2012 Republican
ticket, but her name is already etched into the list of future
party leaders, the Times said.
The governor`s focus on the policies of President
Obama has offered the most substantive contribution to her
national profile. She regularly criticises his policies on
health care and spending.
Legislators say her administration is a refreshing
change from the tumultuous days of her predecessor.
Still, the governor`s strict approach to limiting
spending hit a wall with lawmakers.
Her overall popularity appears to be evenly split. In
June, a poll from Public Policy Polling in North Carolina put
her approval rating at 42 per cent and her disapproval rating
at 41 per cent.
Haley`s parents immigrants from Punjab to the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part II
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part III
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting
- Islamic State supporters hail deadly Munich shooting on social media
- 1st Test, Day 2 Report: Kohli double ton, Ashwin century put India in charge against West Indies
- Silicon Valley leads avalanche of quarterly reports
- UN backs plan to rid Libya of chemical weapons