Nine bronze statues stolen in Tehran serial theft: Report
Tehran: Nine bronze statues, some of
famous Iranians and costing thousands of dollars, have been
stolen in Tehran in what is said to be serial thievery, Fars
news agency reported Sunday.
The thefts, committed over the past few weeks, have
prompted city officials to stop erecting new statues in the
Iranian capital, the report said, quoting a municipal
One of the stolen statues was of famous Iranian poet
Shahriar while others were of artisans, thinkers and heroes of
the 1906 constitutional revolution, the report said, adding
that the ninth bust, stolen yesterday, was of a contemporary
The stolen statues were worth 12,000 to 50,000
dollars each, newspapers said.
"After the serial theft of these bronze statues in
Tehran, work on erecting new ones will be halted," Mojtaba
Mousavi, an official from Tehran Municipality told Fars.
The ruling affected at least five statues which
were about to be erected, including one of Ibn Sina, the
famous Iranian first millenium polymath, he said.
"Some of the statues were stolen during the Nowrouz
holidays (the Iranian new year which began on March 21) and
some of them in recent days," Mousavi said, adding that a
complaint had been filed with the judiciary.
Mousavi said the robbers had the tools and time to
"uproot" the statues which were heavy and encrusted in cement.
He suggested that the theft may have been committed
to procure the bronze for melting down and resale.
Mousavi said that there were still several statues
at various places across Tehran but that "guarding them all
the time by police" was difficult.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal