Nine dead after gunmen storm Mexico prison: Official
Iguala: Gunmen stormed a prison in south western Mexico in an attack that left five of the assailants and four inmates dead, officials said.
Six armed men entered the prison in the Guerrero state town of Iguala yesterday by posing as public officials before firing at inmates and guards, the state prosecutor`s office said in a statement.
The gunmen fooled the guard at the prison entrance by telling him they were delivering an inmate sometime after midnight.
"Once in the prison, the armed group started a confrontation against inmates and later against guards in a security tower," the prosecutor`s office said.
Two other people were injured in the attack, according to state police.
The motive behind the attack was not immediately known.
One of the dead inmates was a convicted cocaine dealer, another was a kidnapper and the two others were imprisoned for carrying illegal weapons.
The National Human Rights Commission said in November that violence has increased in Mexico`s prisons, the majority of which are controlled by inmates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test