Nine dead after gunmen storm Mexico prison: Official
Iguala: Gunmen stormed a prison in south western Mexico in an attack that left five of the assailants and four inmates dead, officials said.
Six armed men entered the prison in the Guerrero state town of Iguala yesterday by posing as public officials before firing at inmates and guards, the state prosecutor`s office said in a statement.
The gunmen fooled the guard at the prison entrance by telling him they were delivering an inmate sometime after midnight.
"Once in the prison, the armed group started a confrontation against inmates and later against guards in a security tower," the prosecutor`s office said.
Two other people were injured in the attack, according to state police.
The motive behind the attack was not immediately known.
One of the dead inmates was a convicted cocaine dealer, another was a kidnapper and the two others were imprisoned for carrying illegal weapons.
The National Human Rights Commission said in November that violence has increased in Mexico`s prisons, the majority of which are controlled by inmates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends