Nine dead after gunmen storm Mexico prison: Official
Iguala: Gunmen stormed a prison in south western Mexico in an attack that left five of the assailants and four inmates dead, officials said.
Six armed men entered the prison in the Guerrero state town of Iguala yesterday by posing as public officials before firing at inmates and guards, the state prosecutor`s office said in a statement.
The gunmen fooled the guard at the prison entrance by telling him they were delivering an inmate sometime after midnight.
"Once in the prison, the armed group started a confrontation against inmates and later against guards in a security tower," the prosecutor`s office said.
Two other people were injured in the attack, according to state police.
The motive behind the attack was not immediately known.
One of the dead inmates was a convicted cocaine dealer, another was a kidnapper and the two others were imprisoned for carrying illegal weapons.
The National Human Rights Commission said in November that violence has increased in Mexico`s prisons, the majority of which are controlled by inmates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Does a corrupt govt influence the mindset of the youth?
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?