Nine dead after gunmen storm Mexico prison: Official
Iguala: Gunmen stormed a prison in south western Mexico in an attack that left five of the assailants and four inmates dead, officials said.
Six armed men entered the prison in the Guerrero state town of Iguala yesterday by posing as public officials before firing at inmates and guards, the state prosecutor`s office said in a statement.
The gunmen fooled the guard at the prison entrance by telling him they were delivering an inmate sometime after midnight.
"Once in the prison, the armed group started a confrontation against inmates and later against guards in a security tower," the prosecutor`s office said.
Two other people were injured in the attack, according to state police.
The motive behind the attack was not immediately known.
One of the dead inmates was a convicted cocaine dealer, another was a kidnapper and the two others were imprisoned for carrying illegal weapons.
The National Human Rights Commission said in November that violence has increased in Mexico`s prisons, the majority of which are controlled by inmates.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!