Nine dead as typhoon brings floods, landslides to Japan
Tokyo: Nine people died and nine are missing in Japan as torrential rain triggered flash floods and landslides ahead of the arrival of Typhoon Etau, police and media reports said on Monday.
The typhoon, packing winds of up to 108 kilometres per hour, was forecast to hit the Tokyo area tomorrow, Japan`s weather agency said.
Heavy downpours have drenched the main Honshu island since the weekend, leading to incidents that left at least 18 people dead or missing, public broadcaster NHK reported.
Police said among the dead were two men and one woman confirmed killed in western Hyogo prefecture, where they drowned in floods.
"One man was found in a submerged car and one woman was in a gutter," said a police spokesman.
"We have not confirmed how another male body was found."
In adjacent Okayama prefecture, a 68-year-old woman died in a landslide.
Television footage showed rescue workers removing debris from houses destroyed by flash floods in Sayocho, Hyogo, where a raging river broke its banks.
Typhoon Etau, which means "storm cloud" in Palauan, was moving towards Honshu at a speed of 15 kilometres per hour, Japan`s weather agency said.
At 9:00 am (0000 GMT) it was located 370 kilometres south of the southwestern island of Shikoku, moving northwest, the agency said, adding that it would approach eastern Japan, including Tokyo, early tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof