Nine killed by Boko Haram militants in shootout in Nigeria
Abuja: Radical Islamist sect Boko Haram militants stormed a police station in northeast Nigeria`s Yobe state on Thursday, sparking a shootout in which four policemen and five insurgents were killed, officials said.
Gunmen came in the wee hours of the morning to attack a police station located in Babann Gida village, Yobe state commissioner of police Sanusi Rufai said.
"Four of our men were killed by the insurgents and we also killed five of the attackers who fled with the dead bodies of their members," Rufai said.
Boko Haram carries out frequent attacks on police stations and other public institutions in the northern part of the oil rich African country.
They engage in suicide bombings, shootings, remote controlled bombings in their quest to install an Islamic caliphate in the northern part of the country.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!