Nine killed by Boko Haram militants in shootout in Nigeria
Abuja: Radical Islamist sect Boko Haram militants stormed a police station in northeast Nigeria`s Yobe state on Thursday, sparking a shootout in which four policemen and five insurgents were killed, officials said.
Gunmen came in the wee hours of the morning to attack a police station located in Babann Gida village, Yobe state commissioner of police Sanusi Rufai said.
"Four of our men were killed by the insurgents and we also killed five of the attackers who fled with the dead bodies of their members," Rufai said.
Boko Haram carries out frequent attacks on police stations and other public institutions in the northern part of the oil rich African country.
They engage in suicide bombings, shootings, remote controlled bombings in their quest to install an Islamic caliphate in the northern part of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars