Nine killed by Boko Haram militants in shootout in Nigeria
Abuja: Radical Islamist sect Boko Haram militants stormed a police station in northeast Nigeria`s Yobe state on Thursday, sparking a shootout in which four policemen and five insurgents were killed, officials said.
Gunmen came in the wee hours of the morning to attack a police station located in Babann Gida village, Yobe state commissioner of police Sanusi Rufai said.
"Four of our men were killed by the insurgents and we also killed five of the attackers who fled with the dead bodies of their members," Rufai said.
Boko Haram carries out frequent attacks on police stations and other public institutions in the northern part of the oil rich African country.
They engage in suicide bombings, shootings, remote controlled bombings in their quest to install an Islamic caliphate in the northern part of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs