Nine killed by Boko Haram militants in shootout in Nigeria
Abuja: Radical Islamist sect Boko Haram militants stormed a police station in northeast Nigeria`s Yobe state on Thursday, sparking a shootout in which four policemen and five insurgents were killed, officials said.
Gunmen came in the wee hours of the morning to attack a police station located in Babann Gida village, Yobe state commissioner of police Sanusi Rufai said.
"Four of our men were killed by the insurgents and we also killed five of the attackers who fled with the dead bodies of their members," Rufai said.
Boko Haram carries out frequent attacks on police stations and other public institutions in the northern part of the oil rich African country.
They engage in suicide bombings, shootings, remote controlled bombings in their quest to install an Islamic caliphate in the northern part of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan able to target Delhi from Kahuta near Rawalpindi in five minutes: Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan
- US zoo kills gorilla after 3-year-old boy falls into enclosure
- EC cancels polls for two remaining Tamil Nadu Assembly seats - Know why
- Cloudbursts, rainfall in Tehri district of Uttarakhand; Gangotri-Kedarnath road closed, pilgrims stranded
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid - UEFA Champions League final