Nine killed in Taliban attack in Kabul hotel
Kabul: Nine people, including four women, were killed in a deadly Taliban attack in a popular hotel in Kabul, sources said Friday morning. Four attackers too were killed.
"Nine people were also killed in last night`s (Thursday) Taliban attack in Serena Hotel besides four gunmen," an Afghan security source told Xinhua.
Earlier reports suggested three people were injured in the firing.
Among the four women killed, two were foreigners, the source said.
Six people were seriously wounded in the attack before the attackers were gunned down.
The Taliban have claimed responsibility for the attack.
The incident occurred at around 9 p.m. Thursday after four people who hid pistols in their socks pretended that they had come for dinner in the restaurant of the hotel, which is located near the presidential palace, interior ministry spokesman Seddiq Seddiqi told reporters near the site around midnight.
The assailants indiscriminately fired at the people who were dining in the five-star hotel, the source said.
This is the second attack against restaurants frequented by foreigners in Kabul this year. On Jan 17, 21 people, including 13 foreigners, were killed after a suicide bombing and shooting in a Lebanese restaurant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official