Nineteen prisoners attempt group suicide in Russia
Moscow: Nineteen inmates of a correctional facility in Russia`s eastern Siberian republic of Yakutia have attempted to commit suicide by cutting their veins, the regional prosecutor`s office said Tuesday.
The incident took place around 6 pm Monday. The prisoners used disposable razors to cut their veins.
"All convicts received medical treatment and their lives are not in danger," the authorities said. "Security in prison has been tightened and the situation is under control."
A team of investigators, led by Yakutia`s deputy chief prosecutor Boris Samoilenko, will investigate the incident and check for possible violations of inmates` rights by prison authorities.
Harsh conditions in Russian prisons have been subject of criticism by domestic and foreign human rights organisations and officials for years.
The US Department of State country reports on Human Rights Practices for 2011 says, "the conditions of prisons (in Russia) constituted a major violation of the human rights of many prisoners, who were subjected to poor medical care, lack of basic human needs, and abuse by prison officials."
Russian authorities deny these accusations as "groundless".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi