Nineteen prisoners attempt group suicide in Russia
Moscow: Nineteen inmates of a correctional facility in Russia`s eastern Siberian republic of Yakutia have attempted to commit suicide by cutting their veins, the regional prosecutor`s office said Tuesday.
The incident took place around 6 pm Monday. The prisoners used disposable razors to cut their veins.
"All convicts received medical treatment and their lives are not in danger," the authorities said. "Security in prison has been tightened and the situation is under control."
A team of investigators, led by Yakutia`s deputy chief prosecutor Boris Samoilenko, will investigate the incident and check for possible violations of inmates` rights by prison authorities.
Harsh conditions in Russian prisons have been subject of criticism by domestic and foreign human rights organisations and officials for years.
The US Department of State country reports on Human Rights Practices for 2011 says, "the conditions of prisons (in Russia) constituted a major violation of the human rights of many prisoners, who were subjected to poor medical care, lack of basic human needs, and abuse by prison officials."
Russian authorities deny these accusations as "groundless".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation?
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi