Nineteen rescued from mine in Poland
Berlin: Rescue teams managed to save 19 miners who had become trapped 1,000 meters below ground in a mine in the western Polish town of Polkowice.
A group of workers at the Rudna mine were trapped in mine shaft Tuesday after a magnitude-4.7 earthquake struck the area.
Most of the miners were uninjured and some managed to save themselves, but another group was found and rescued by emergency teams, the Polish PAP news agency reported Wednesday.
Initially, a group of eight miners came out of the mine but the rest remained trapped and out of contact with the surface, given that all communications with the mine`s interior had been cut off.
Teams worked all night to reestablish communication with the missing miners until finally they were able to rescue the entire group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says