Ninety three held in China for spreading apocalypse rumours
Beijing: China has detained 93 people from a cult for spreading rumours about "impending apocalypse" on December 24.
The arrested include 37 members of the Christian "Almighty God" cult in northwest China`s Qinghai Province.
These cult members recently latched on to the Mayan doomsday scenario to predict the sun will not shine and electricity will not work for three days beginning on December 21, according to the public security bureau of Xining, the provincial capital.
A large number of banners, discs, slogans, books and printing machines were seized by police, state media reported.
Four "Almighty God " members were also detained in the neighboring Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region for swindling elderly people in the remote Arxan mountain area.
They proclaimed that only by believing in the "Almighty God" can they survive the doomsday.
Thirty-four people in Jinjiang City of east China`s Fujian Province, four in southwest China`s Chongqing Municipality, two in southwest China`s Sichuan Province, seven in northwest China`s Shaanxi Province and five in central China`s Hubei Province were also detained recently for handing out leaflets about the apocalypse and spreading rumors, local public security departments said.
The "Almighty God" cult was established in 1990 in central China`s Henan Province. It requires its members to surrender their property to the group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof