Ninety three held in China for spreading apocalypse rumours
Beijing: China has detained 93 people from a cult for spreading rumours about "impending apocalypse" on December 24.
The arrested include 37 members of the Christian "Almighty God" cult in northwest China`s Qinghai Province.
These cult members recently latched on to the Mayan doomsday scenario to predict the sun will not shine and electricity will not work for three days beginning on December 21, according to the public security bureau of Xining, the provincial capital.
A large number of banners, discs, slogans, books and printing machines were seized by police, state media reported.
Four "Almighty God " members were also detained in the neighboring Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region for swindling elderly people in the remote Arxan mountain area.
They proclaimed that only by believing in the "Almighty God" can they survive the doomsday.
Thirty-four people in Jinjiang City of east China`s Fujian Province, four in southwest China`s Chongqing Municipality, two in southwest China`s Sichuan Province, seven in northwest China`s Shaanxi Province and five in central China`s Hubei Province were also detained recently for handing out leaflets about the apocalypse and spreading rumors, local public security departments said.
The "Almighty God" cult was established in 1990 in central China`s Henan Province. It requires its members to surrender their property to the group.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: SC to hear plea next week on FIR against 'bribe-takers'
- Wow! KFC India to replace plastic packaging with edible bowls!
- UN blacklists Indian-flagged cargo vessel carrying Libyan oil
- One minute of intense exercise can help you stay fit!
- Don't refer Bhagat Singh, Chandra Shekhar Azad as terrorists: HRD Ministry to DU