Niqab negates a woman`s personality: Egypt PM
Cairo: Prime Minister Ahmed Nazif has waded into Egypt`s "niqab" controversy, saying the full-face veil wipes out a woman`s personality, the official news agency MENA reported on Wednesday.
The niqab, advocated by ultra-conservative Muslims, "cancels the personality of a woman," he said.
The Prime Minister said the niqab was a matter of personal freedom but that it should not trespass on other people`s rights, warning that some students used it to cheat in exams.
However, universities should respect an administrative court`s decision overturning bans on the niqab, he said.
The court last month ruled against a ban on the niqab in female schools affiliated with the Islamic Al-Azhar University.
It also ruled against an Education Ministry ban on the niqab in university residences and examination halls, saying it violated the women`s constitutional liberties.
The government and Al-Azhar have shown signs of concern over the niqab, which is associated in Egypt with the ultra-conservative Salafi school of thought practiced mostly
in Saudi Arabia.
Most Muslim women in Egypt cover their hair.
The niqab is thought to be gaining ground in the Arab world`s largest country, partly as a result of the growing influence of satellite television stations which air Salafi preaching.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30