No. 2 nuke commander in US suspended amid probe
Washington: The military command in charge of all US nuclear war-fighting forces says it has suspended its No. 2 commander for unspecific reasons, and he is under scrutiny by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service.
The US Strategic Command said today that Navy Vice Adm. Tim Giardina was suspended on September 3. He is still assigned to the command but has been barred from performing duties related to nuclear weapons, according to a Strategic Command spokeswoman.
Capt. Pamela Kunze would not give a reason for the suspension.
Kunze said Strategic Command did not announce the action because Giardina remains under investigation. The suspension was first reported by the Omaha World-Herald newspaper.
The spokeswoman said an unspecified law enforcement agency began an investigation of Giardina on June 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31