No. 2 nuke commander in US suspended amid probe
Washington: The military command in charge of all US nuclear war-fighting forces says it has suspended its No. 2 commander for unspecific reasons, and he is under scrutiny by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service.
The US Strategic Command said today that Navy Vice Adm. Tim Giardina was suspended on September 3. He is still assigned to the command but has been barred from performing duties related to nuclear weapons, according to a Strategic Command spokeswoman.
Capt. Pamela Kunze would not give a reason for the suspension.
Kunze said Strategic Command did not announce the action because Giardina remains under investigation. The suspension was first reported by the Omaha World-Herald newspaper.
The spokeswoman said an unspecified law enforcement agency began an investigation of Giardina on June 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics