No agreement on main issues in nuclear talks: Iran FM
Tehran: Iran and world powers are yet to find common ground on the main issues in nuclear talks aimed at reaching a comprehensive agreement, Tehran`s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said today.
His remarks, broadcast live on state television, came after five days of negotiations in Vienna that seek to transform an interim deal into a lasting accord to resolve a decade-long stand-off over Iran`s nuclear ambitions.
"We have not reached agreement on the main issues. In some cases, we can see light for agreement but in some others, there is none yet," Zarif told a briefing with Iranian media.
He said negotiators from Iran and the five permanent members of UN Security Council plus Germany had spent at least 10 hours on an unfinished draft agreement.
"There are more brackets than words in it," Zarif said, alluding to many differences yet to be bridged and which have been postponed to the next round of talks, which starts on July 2 in Vienna.
The talks seek to secure by a self-imposed July 20 deadline a mammoth deal to curb Iran`s programme and allay Western suspicions that the Islamic state seeks to acquire nuclear weapons.
Iran denies ever wanting an atomic bomb, and wants crippling UN and Western sanctions to be lifted in a final deal.
Zarif said that among the members of the so-called P5+1 group, the United States had adopted a "more rigid stance" which would force it into making more difficult choices if there is going to be a deal.
"We feel there are still maximalist stances on the other side, which I think should be dropped," Zarif said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands