No arrest yet in Boston marathon bombings: Report
Zee Media Bureau
Boston: After reports of an arrest were made in the Boston Marathon bombing case, the senior law administration officials said that no arrest happen, according to CNN.
"Despite reports to the contrary there has not been an arrest in the Marathon attack," the Boston police department said on its Twitter account.
At least one of the video cameras captured the suspect appearing to place one of the pressure cooker bombs, the reports said.
The two blasts went off in a 13-second period about 100 meters (yards) apart as stragglers among the 23,000 runners entered in the prestige event were completing the race.
With no claim of responsibility made for the attack, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) said it has launched a "worldwide" hunt for those responsible.
It released photographs of the mangled metal remnants of a pressure cooker believed to have been used for one of the bombs which sprayed nails, ball bearings and metal pellets into the huge crowds.
The lid of one pressure cooker was found on the roof of a hotel near the bombs, the hotel`s owner told AFP.
Shreds of black nylon bags believed to have been used to carry the bombs have also been found.
Doctors at hospitals where the critically injured were taken say ball bearings and nails taken from patients were being used in the investigation.
George Velmahos, Massachusetts General Hospital`s chief of trauma surgery, said the metal was being handed over to police. He said 12 nails were taken from inside one patient.
Peter Burke, chief trauma surgeon at Boston Medical Center, also said the metal pieces was being kept aside for the police. He said some of the nails were about five centimeters (two inches) long.
Evidence is being collected for analysis at the FBI`s main laboratory in Quantico, Virginia.
Similar, easy-to-make devices are used as roadside bombs in Afghanistan and Iraq, but have also been used by domestic extremists in the United States.
US authorities have thrown virtually every investigation agency into the hunt with more than 1,000 officers working in Boston alone, said Rick DesLauriers, head of the FBI`s Boston office.
Obama has condemned the attack as "an act of terror" and vowed that the attackers "will feel the full weight of justice."
The US leader will attend a special inter-faith service for the victims at Boston`s Cathedral of the Holy Cross on Thursday morning.
Armed National Guard troops and police patrolled Boston`s airport, commuter trains and buses and authorities warned that tight security would last several days.
About 100 of the injured have already left Boston hospitals but many remain in critical condition and the city has started emotional tributes to the dead, who include an eight-year-old boy Martin Richard, a Chinese graduate student at Boston University, Lu Lingzi, and a woman restaurant manager Krystle Campbell.
About 1,000 people attended a candlelight vigil in a park near the boy`s home on Tuesday night and hundreds went to other events in Boston.
Hundreds of students attended a memorial service for the woman at Boston University on Tuesday night. Thousands of tributes were posted online on Chinese websites.
A pair of running shoes, flowers and a key chain were left in front of the university memorial to Martin Luther King junior for Lu.
Theology student Meghan Nelson, who placed the tributes, said: "All the theology school students are wearing running shoes this week. It symbolizes standing together for unity and running for peace. It`s about solidarity."
London marathon organizers announced meanwhile that extra police would be deployed to monitor security following the Boston attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'