No body found at California cabin, clarifies LAPD
California: The manhunt for a fugitive former cop culminated in a charred mountain cabin near Big Bear Lake in California, with no confirmation whether the wanted man was dead.
Refuting initial reports that a body suspected to be that of renegade wanted cop Christopher Dorner, was found in the cabin, the Los Angeles police clarified that no body had been recovered yet as the cabin was “to hot” to enter and investigate.
Television visuals showed the cabin in flames and smoke rising from the building in the snow-covered woods,when the SWAT went in.
The SWAT team surrounded the cabin and used an armored vehicle to break out the cabin windows, the official said. The officers then pumped a gas into the cabin and blasted a message over a loudspeaker: "Surrender or come out."
The armored vehicle then tore down each of the cabin`s four walls, like peeling back the layers of an onion, the official said.
But the man named Christopher Dorner never came out and the building was in flames, officials said.
The former cop named Christopher Dorner, who is accused of three killings, was reported to be holed up in the cabin where a shootout took place before it was on fire.
In the shooting, a local sheriff`s deputy was killed.
Thousands of officers had been on the hunt for the former Navy reservist since police said he launched a campaign to exact revenge against the Los Angeles Police Department for his firing.
Earlier, the suspect had threatened to wage "unconventional and asymmetric warfare" on the LAPD in a manifesto he posted on his Facebook page.
It is believed that Dorner, who was kicked off the Los Angeles police force in 2009, murdered the daughter of an officer involved in the case that got him fired as well as the daughter`s boyfriend.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’