No bouquets, banquets, liquor for China`s new legislators
Beijing: Projecting a new image for itself in the backdrop of its sagging popularity, ruling Communist Party of China has banned flowers, banquets and alcohol at next month`s annual session of the National People`s Congress.
The 2,987 newly-elected members of the NPC will not be received with flowers nor will there be any customary banquets with alcohol during the fortnight-long session beginning from the first week of March, state-run CCTV reported.
The NPC is often referred to as rubber stamp Parliament for its routine endorsement of CPC decisions.
The measures were extension of austerity policy announced by the CPC new leader Xi Jinping who earlier banned high-ranking military officers from holding luxury banquets with alcohol.
The military receptions should be free of welcome banners, red carpets, floral arrangements, formation of soldiers, performances and souvenirs, according to 10 regulations drawn up by the Central Military Commission headed by Xi who succeeded Hu Jintao as party leader.
The military also has been asked not to waste food and recycle it.
The new measures were seen as an image building exercise by Xi who would be taking over as President during the NPC session.
This year, NPC session along with advisory body the National People`s Political Consultative Conference, (NPPCC) are regarded as being special, as the new leadership takes over marking the end of the previous regime headed by Hu Jintao during the past 10 years.
A host of new faces including Hollywood film star Jackie Chin were nominated to CPPCC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands