No carry-on liquids at Moscow airports for Olympics
Moscow: All carry-on liquids will be banned at Moscow`s three international airports ahead of next month`s Winter Olympics in Sochi for security concern, the Russian flight authority posted the decision Wednesday.
The restrictions will additionally extend to "some regional airports, including those in the south of Russia", reported Xinhua citing Rossiyskaya Gazeta daily.
Sheremetyevo airport said on its website that the ban covers "all liquids, including personal hygiene items, cosmetics, medicines, liquids, sprays and gels in any amount". It also applies to "items used in arts and crafts such as paints, soil and glue".
The restriction decision, however, sparked complaints because it covers prescribed medication and baby food.
The new guidelines will remain in force through March 21 and also be applied at Moscow`s Vnukovo and Domodedovo terminals.
A number of foreigners and Russians will swarm to Sochi, the resort city on the shores of the Black Sea for the Feb 7-23 Olympics.
Russia this week launched the largest security operation in Olympic history aimed at warding off the threat of Islamist violence following last month`s twin suicide strikes in the southern city of Volgograd.
The December 29-30 railway station and trolleybus bombings killed 34 and fanned fears of a renewed terror campaign by militants from the nearby North Caucasus, who have threatened attacks before and during the Games.
Existing rules allowed passengers travelling across Russia to take up to 100 millilitres (3.4 ounces) of liquids on board flights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'