No casualties or damage from major Indonesian quake: Official
Jakarta: Nobody was killed or injured after a major earthquake rocked eastern Indonesia late Saturday, a disaster official said.
"So far, we`ve received no reports of death, injury or damage. We contacted Tual and Saumlaki, the two most populated areas close to the epicentre, and there were no reports of casualties there," Disaster Management Agency spokesman Priyadi Kardono said on Sunday.
"Despite the strong force, the quake was very deep so the shaking had no major effect," he said.
The 7.3-magnitude quake struck at 2010 IST yesterday about 209 kilometres northwest of Saumlaki, Maluku province, at a depth of 165 kilometres, according to the Indonesian Meteorology and Geophysics Agency.
A later US Geological Survey report registered the quake, in the Banda Sea, at a magnitude of 7.0.
Indonesia sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire," where the meeting of continental plates causes high volcanic and seismic activity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'