No change in policy on Kashmir: US
Washington: The US on Wednesday said there is no change in its stated policy that Kashmir is a bilateral issue that needs to be resolved between India and Pakistan, and would like to see the recent economic warming between the two sides translate into a better conversation on that issue.
"With regard to our own policy on Kashmir, it hasn`t changed. It`s been the same for a very long time," State Department spokesperson, Victoria Nuland, told reporters when asked about the sharp exchange of words between India and Pakistan during the ongoing UN general Assembly session in New York.
For the past several decades, the US has maintained that Kashmir is a bilateral issue between India and Pakistan and the two countries need to resolve it peacefully through dialogue.
"On the broader issue of Kashmir, as I said, we want to see this economic warming now translate into a better conversation on that issue as well," Nuland said in response to a question.
The US official was highly appreciative of the ongoing peace process between the two nations especially in the economic field.
"We have said for some time that we applaud the progress that India and Pakistan have made in their dialogue, particularly on the economic side.
"We are encouraged that they`ve taken some concrete steps to normalise trade relations, including the recently signed agreement on visa liberalisation. We want to see this economic warming extend to other areas," Nuland said.
Responding to a question, Nuland said the issue of Kashmir did not come up during the meeting between Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, and Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari, on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York late last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days