No choppers on board ships to Syria: Russia
Moscow: Russia`s state-run arms company has denied that any of its warships presently heading for Syria were carrying Mil Mi-25 helicopter gunships.
Rosoboronexport said it had tried to deliver the helicopters last month in a civilian cargo vessel, and that they were still on board that ship.
A group of Russian warships from the Black Sea, Northern and Baltic fleets are currently in transit to military exercises in the Atlantic, Mediterranean and Black seas, a Russian military official said.
Russia-owned cargo vessel Alaed had to stop off the coast of Scotland on June 18 with a cargo of three Mi-25 attack helicopters on board after its British insurer Standard Club withdrew its cover for the ship. It later turned back and entered the Russian port of Murmansk.
Femco, the Russian shipping company which owns the Alaed, has criticised the insurer for what it said was its "baseless action" in withdrawing insurance cover.
Danish company United Nordic Shipping, which had chartered the Alaed, unilaterally broke off its agreement with Femco, after which Standard Club withdrew the insurance cover.
Femco later changed the ship`s registration - which had originally been in the Netherlands Antilles island of Curacao - and it is now Russian-flagged.
Vyacheslav Dzirkaln, the deputy head of Russia`s Federal Service for Military Technical Cooperation, has said that the Russian Navy would carry out its duty to defend Russian shipping in the event of a blockade of Syria.
The helicopters were in the centre of a diplomatic row in June after the US accused Russia of supplying weapons that could be used against peaceful demonstrators in Syria.
Russian denied the accusation, saying it was only returning aircraft and air defence systems which had been repaired under a previously agreed contract, and the weapons were not capable of being used against civilians.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs