No conference on nuke-free Mideast for now: US
Washington: The US says a proposed conference on banning nuclear weapons in the Middle East cannot be convened at this point because of current conditions in the region.
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said in a statement released yesterday that the US will continue to work to create conditions that could result in a successful conference. But she cited political turmoil in the region and Iran`s defiant stance on non-proliferation.
She says the US supports the goal of a Middle East free of weapons of mass destruction. But she said such a conference should discuss a broad agenda of regional security and have some sort of consensus among the nations in the region on how to approach the conference.
A news agency reported earlier this month that the meeting, planned for Helsinki, Finland, before the end of the year had been called off.
A diplomat, who demanded anonymity because he was not authorised to discuss the matter ahead of a public announcement of the cancellation, said Israel had decided not to attend.
Key sponsors had said that the meeting was possible only if all countries, especially Israel, would participate.
Israel declined to participate because of positions taken by Arab countries, the diplomat said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame?
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame? - Part II
- NADA likely to declare verdict on wrestler Narsingh Yadav's doping case on Thursday
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK - Part II
- Chinese soldiers spotted in Uttarakhand's Chamoli; defence ministry says 'no incursion'
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump could win, warns Barack Obama
- Delhi Transport Minister says 17 auto unions end strike; union leader denies
- World at war over money, not religious faith, says Pope
- World Hepatitis Day, 2016: Ten facts you should know!