No confidence motion submitted against Maldivian Prez
Male: A no confidence motion was Wednesday submitted against Maldivian President Mohamed Waheed by opposition MDP for his failure to probe human rights abuses committed in the country after he took office.
Maldivian Democratic Party led by former president Mohammed Nasheed submitted the no confidence motion to the Parliament with signatures of 27 of its MPs.
The motion against President Waheed states that several MPs and members of the public were subject to inhumane treatment at the hands of the police on February 8 after the ouster of Nasheed on February 7.
In addition, the motion also alleged that Waheed had made statements that had undermined and defamed the Parliament on international platform.
A resolution to remove the President from office can only be passed if it receives a two-thirds majority in the Parliament, which would be 52 votes.
At present MDP has 31 MPs in the 77-member Majlis or Parliament.
Meanwhile, MDP had also submitted a no confidence motion against Home Minister Dr Mohamed Jameel Ahmed yesterday.
The motion against Ahmed said that there has been unprecedented increase in murders and assault in the Maldives while the Home Minister had also failed to probe the human rights abuses committed by the Police on February 8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling