No confidence motion submitted against Maldivian Prez
Male: A no confidence motion was Wednesday submitted against Maldivian President Mohamed Waheed by opposition MDP for his failure to probe human rights abuses committed in the country after he took office.
Maldivian Democratic Party led by former president Mohammed Nasheed submitted the no confidence motion to the Parliament with signatures of 27 of its MPs.
The motion against President Waheed states that several MPs and members of the public were subject to inhumane treatment at the hands of the police on February 8 after the ouster of Nasheed on February 7.
In addition, the motion also alleged that Waheed had made statements that had undermined and defamed the Parliament on international platform.
A resolution to remove the President from office can only be passed if it receives a two-thirds majority in the Parliament, which would be 52 votes.
At present MDP has 31 MPs in the 77-member Majlis or Parliament.
Meanwhile, MDP had also submitted a no confidence motion against Home Minister Dr Mohamed Jameel Ahmed yesterday.
The motion against Ahmed said that there has been unprecedented increase in murders and assault in the Maldives while the Home Minister had also failed to probe the human rights abuses committed by the Police on February 8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA