No decision yet from Israel on Iran: US
Washington: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta said on Tuesday he does not think Israel has made a decision to launch a military strike on Iran to thwart its nuclear ambitions.
And he said he does not have a view on whether it is likely that Israel would attack this spring. A Washington Post columnist wrote recently that Panetta sees a high likelihood that Israel will attack in April, May or June.
During a hearing before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Senator Roger F Wicker, a Republican, pressed Panetta on his personal assessment.
"And so you do not have a position as to whether it is likely that Israel will make such an attack this spring?" Wicker asked.
Panetta replied, "I do not."
Panetta emphasised that the Obama administration is deeply worried by Iran`s behaviour and its nuclear ambitions.
"We have common cause with Israel," he said. "We have common cause with the international community with regards to the concerns about Iran. We`ve made very clear that they are not to develop a nuclear weapon. We`ve made very clear that they are not to close the Straits of Hormuz. We`ve also made very clear that they are not to export terrorism and try to undermine other governments."
He said the US and other nations have taken strong steps with sanctions and stressed the importance of keeping the international community together.
Israel has blamed Iran for recent attacks on Israeli diplomats overseas. Tehran has denied responsibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway