No decision yet from Israel on Iran: US
Washington: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta said on Tuesday he does not think Israel has made a decision to launch a military strike on Iran to thwart its nuclear ambitions.
And he said he does not have a view on whether it is likely that Israel would attack this spring. A Washington Post columnist wrote recently that Panetta sees a high likelihood that Israel will attack in April, May or June.
During a hearing before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Senator Roger F Wicker, a Republican, pressed Panetta on his personal assessment.
"And so you do not have a position as to whether it is likely that Israel will make such an attack this spring?" Wicker asked.
Panetta replied, "I do not."
Panetta emphasised that the Obama administration is deeply worried by Iran`s behaviour and its nuclear ambitions.
"We have common cause with Israel," he said. "We have common cause with the international community with regards to the concerns about Iran. We`ve made very clear that they are not to develop a nuclear weapon. We`ve made very clear that they are not to close the Straits of Hormuz. We`ve also made very clear that they are not to export terrorism and try to undermine other governments."
He said the US and other nations have taken strong steps with sanctions and stressed the importance of keeping the international community together.
Israel has blamed Iran for recent attacks on Israeli diplomats overseas. Tehran has denied responsibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America