No Egyptian killed in Tripoli rocket attack, Libya claims
Cairo: Libya has denied reports that 23 Egyptians were killed in a rocket attack in strife-torn Tripoli.
The Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs today received a statement from the Libyan Foreign Ministry stating that no Egyptian was killed in the rocket attack, the spokesperson of the Egyptian Foreign Ministry, Badr Abdel Aaty said.
"The Libyan authorities have examined the bodies and announced that most of them are Arab and African nationals but non of them is Egyptian," the spokesperson said.
Media outlets have reported on Saturday that 23 Egyptian workers were killed in a Grad rocket attack in Tripoli, where militia rivalries are intensifying.
Egypt yesterday strongly condemned the incident and described the fighting in Libya as "chaotic and inhuman".
The Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs had demanded from the Libyan Government to investigate the circumstances of the hideous incident and to provide Egypt immediately with the criminals to be punished.
The battle in Tripoli began when Islamist-led militias of the western city of Misurata launched an assault on the airport, which is under the control of rival militias from the western mountain town of Zintan.
The Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it is monitoring the developments in Libya and its implications on the conditions of the Egyptian community in the country.
The ministry, last week, also appealed Egyptians to avoid travelling to Libya for the time being and for the Egyptian residents in Libya to take measures of extreme caution to stay away from the violence in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok