No end to Iraq bloodshed as blasts at school, police station kills 27
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Baghdad: Continuing the mayhem of attacks in Iraq, suicide bombers targeted a school and a police station in a Shiite village on Sunday morning killing 27.
The attack took place in the northern Iraqi village of Qabak when suicide bombers detonated many explosive-laden vehicles, killing over a dozen of which many were children.
Adding to the fears of Iraq declining back to the civil war situation of 2006-07, the country has, in past few months, seen increasing incidents of sectarian attacks.
According to the UN, the month of September itself recorded a death toll of approximately 1000.
UNAMI said on Tuesday that it recorded 979 Iraqis killed in September. The fatalities include those among security forces and troops killed in insurgent attacks nationwide.
The surge in violence in Iraq in recent months was triggered after a Shiite-led government of Iraq launched an offensive on a Sunni protest camp in April this year.
More than 5,000 have been killed since then.
After that, bloodshed and violence have become a routine affair for Iraq, with attacks being witnesses almost every day.
Today’s blasts occurd in the Shiite Turkomen village of Qabak, outside the town of Tal Afar. The wider area around the stricken village has long been a hotbed for hard-to-rout Sunni insurgents and a corridor for extremist fighters arriving from nearby Syria.
Today’s attacks come just a day after a wave of attacks claimed 73 lives across Iraq yesterday.
On Saturday, a suicide bomber blew himself up among a crowd of Shiite pilgrims in Baghdad and another detonated his explosives inside a cafe north of the capital, the deadliest of several attacks across Iraq.
The attack in a cafe in the town of Balad, killed at least 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan