No evidence migrants were kidnapped: Mexican govt
Rev Alejandro Solalinde of Oaxaca has said over 80 undocumented migrants were abducted by gunmen.
Mexico City: The Mexican government says it does not have evidence to confirm a priest`s claim that at least 80 Central American migrants were kidnapped last week.
The Rev Alejandro Solalinde of Oaxaca has said more than 80 undocumented migrants were abducted by gunmen who hijacked the freight train on which they were travelling.
Two witnesses from Honduras and Guatemala then told their story to the government.
But Subsecretary of Population and Migration Rene Zenteno told a news conference on Wednesday that while the government cannot negate their testimony, no evidence has been found to confirm it.
Thousands of Central American migrants brave attacks to trek across the Mexican border each year, often in hopes of reaching the United States.