No female judges in Egypt’s top court!
Cairo: Egypt`s National Council for Women (NCW) has condemned the decision of the Council of State against appointing female judges.
The NCW on Thursday held an emergency meeting to discuss the decision of the Council of State, an influential court which advises the government.
"I am happy with the NGOs` protest in support of women`s rights," head of the NCW Furkhandah Hasan said.
The Council of State`s association voted against appointing women as judges in the council. The move was slammed by human rights activists.
As many as 380 judges took part in the general assembly and voted, with 334 rejecting the appointment of females to judicial posts and 42 agreeing, with four abstentions.
The State Council is an administrative court system with jurisdiction over cases involving the state.
Meanwhile, Egyptian Prime Minister Ahmed Nazif has voluntarily entered the face-veil controversy saying it wipes out a woman`s personality.
He said the niqab was a matter of personal freedom but that it should not trespass on other people`s rights, warning that some students used it to cheat in exams.
An Egyptian court last month ruled against a ban on the niqab in female schools affiliated with the Islamic Al-Azhar University. It also ruled against an Education Ministry ban on the niqab in university residences and examination halls, saying it violated the women`s constitutional liberties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy