No foreign nation to decide for Syria: Iran minister
Tehran: Iranian Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi has said that his country will not allow any foreign nation to decide for the Syrian people, after a "Friends of Syria" meeting in Doha pledged to arm the Syrian rebels.
"The Islamic republic will not allow, as it has proved, any foreign prescription to be imposed on the Syrians," Salehi said.
He said Iran was against arming Syrian opposition groups as such a move will "prolong the crisis, sabotage and bloodshed".
Iran and the West have accused each other of meddling in Syria`s two-year-old conflict.
At a joint press conference with visiting Lebanese Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour, Salehi said both regional and non-regional states should help Syrians find a solution to the crisis themselves.
Earlier, the Friends of Syria meeting in Doha demanded Iran to stop its interference in Syria.
The meeting, attended by nations supporting the Syrian opposition, also urged Lebanon`s Hezbollah Shiite movement to stop fighting alongside forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees