No foreign nation to decide for Syria: Iran minister
Tehran: Iranian Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi has said that his country will not allow any foreign nation to decide for the Syrian people, after a "Friends of Syria" meeting in Doha pledged to arm the Syrian rebels.
"The Islamic republic will not allow, as it has proved, any foreign prescription to be imposed on the Syrians," Salehi said.
He said Iran was against arming Syrian opposition groups as such a move will "prolong the crisis, sabotage and bloodshed".
Iran and the West have accused each other of meddling in Syria`s two-year-old conflict.
At a joint press conference with visiting Lebanese Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour, Salehi said both regional and non-regional states should help Syrians find a solution to the crisis themselves.
Earlier, the Friends of Syria meeting in Doha demanded Iran to stop its interference in Syria.
The meeting, attended by nations supporting the Syrian opposition, also urged Lebanon`s Hezbollah Shiite movement to stop fighting alongside forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today
- Chilli-based PAVA shells may replace pellet guns in Jammu and Kashmir