No formal invitation from North Korea: US
Washington: The United States has said it has not received a "formal invitation" from North Korea and there is no plan for its diplomat to visit Pyongyang now.
"We understand that North Korea would like to engage in discussions with the United States. There is nothing new there. We have not received a formal invitation," Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs PJ Crowley said.
Media reports in last few days have said that North Korea has invited the US for a bilateral dialogue. Crowley, however, said Special Representative for North Korea Policy Ambassador Stephen Bosworth would soon be travelling to the region.
"One of the purposes of potential travel to the region will be to consult closely with the key countries on where we are and where we go from here," Crowley said.
A decision on Bosworth`s travel to the region would be taken soon, he said, but ruled out categorically that the US diplomat would be visiting North Korea.
"This trip, when it happens and when that decision is made, will be to consult with the key countries in the region who have been part of the Six-Party process. I do not envision that it will include discussions with anyone from North Korea," Crowley said.
Noting that the US has the ability to communicate with North Korea, Crowley said: "North Korea has had discussions with various Americans in recent days and weeks. And would they welcome bilateral discussions with the United States? Of course, they would. They have made no secret of that. But we have made no decisions on that."
The travel that is being contemplated right now would have Ambassador Bosworth go to the region sometime soon, and he will consult with the key countries in the region and will not talk to North Korea, he said.
Obama administration has maintained that North Korea needs to come back to the six-party talks and any bilateral talks with the US can be only within this framework.
Denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula remains the goal of the United States, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister