No-frills canonisation for Popes JPII, John XXIII
Vatican City: The simple, low-frills style of Pope Francis is having an effect on the upcoming canonisations of Popes John Paul II and John XXIII.
Organisers of the event said today the April 27 saint-making ceremony will be a much more sober affair compared to the three-day extravaganza that accompanied John Paul`s 2011 beatification.
That 2011 event included a prayer vigil on Rome`s Circus Maximus field for tens of thousands of people and ended up costing several times the original estimate of 1.2 million euros.
No such vigil is planned this time around. Cardinal Agostino Vallini, the vicar of Rome, said churches in Rome`s centre will remain open overnight before the canonisation to provide a spiritual retreat for pilgrims, "but not much else."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security