No-frills canonisation for Popes JPII, John XXIII
Vatican City: The simple, low-frills style of Pope Francis is having an effect on the upcoming canonisations of Popes John Paul II and John XXIII.
Organisers of the event said today the April 27 saint-making ceremony will be a much more sober affair compared to the three-day extravaganza that accompanied John Paul`s 2011 beatification.
That 2011 event included a prayer vigil on Rome`s Circus Maximus field for tens of thousands of people and ended up costing several times the original estimate of 1.2 million euros.
No such vigil is planned this time around. Cardinal Agostino Vallini, the vicar of Rome, said churches in Rome`s centre will remain open overnight before the canonisation to provide a spiritual retreat for pilgrims, "but not much else."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31