No-frills canonisation for Popes JPII, John XXIII
Vatican City: The simple, low-frills style of Pope Francis is having an effect on the upcoming canonisations of Popes John Paul II and John XXIII.
Organisers of the event said today the April 27 saint-making ceremony will be a much more sober affair compared to the three-day extravaganza that accompanied John Paul`s 2011 beatification.
That 2011 event included a prayer vigil on Rome`s Circus Maximus field for tens of thousands of people and ended up costing several times the original estimate of 1.2 million euros.
No such vigil is planned this time around. Cardinal Agostino Vallini, the vicar of Rome, said churches in Rome`s centre will remain open overnight before the canonisation to provide a spiritual retreat for pilgrims, "but not much else."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover set floor ablaze with killer moves at wedding reception – Watch here
- Petrol, diesel-run cabs banned from Delhi-NCR roads from today
- Wealth from waste: A novel Indian biotech solution
- IAF chopper sprinkles water to douse Uttarakhand forest fires; Rajnath Singh reviews situation
- China may reconsider stand on Pakistani terrorists Hafiz Saeed, Masood Azhar?