No hope for 55 people lost in Indian Ocean capsize
Canberra: Rescue authorities have given up hope of finding any survivors after an asylum seeker boat carrying at least 55 people to Australia capsized in the Indian Ocean.
The boat`s submerged hull was spotted by air Friday, and bodies, life jackets and debris have been spotted near Christmas Island, an Australian territory nearer to Indonesia than to the mainland.
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority called off the air and search on Sunday night based on medical advice that no one could have survived any longer in the sea, a statement said.
The authority and border protection officials were discussing on Monday whether to mount a new search to recover the bodies, maritime authority`s spokeswoman Jo Meehan said.
The capsized boat was seen 120 kilometers northwest of Christmas Island, which is 500 kilometers south of Jakarta and 2,600 kilometers from Perth, the nearest major Australian coastal city.
A total of 13 bodies have been spotted, but ships did not interrupt the search for survivors to retrieve the dead.
The boat was stationary but appeared to not be in distress when it was first spotted by the crew of an Air Force plane on Wednesday afternoon, officials said.
It was then 52 kilometers north of Christmas Island, where Australia runs a detention camp for asylum seekers.
The air crew counted 55 people on deck. They were mostly men, but also women and children, officials said.
Their nationalities are unknown.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH