No Indians or Asians job advt triggers outrage in Oz
Melbourne: A contractor of Australia`s supermarket chain Coles has come under fire for publishing a job advertisement, which barred Indians or Asians from applying.
"Store requires no Indians or Asians please. Must speak English (sic)", read the online ad posted on Sunday.
The ad on the Gumtree website sought cleaners for a supermarket at Eastlands Shopping Centre in Hobart, according to local media reports.
It triggered outrage on social media sites, with people calling for a boycott of the store.
Local newspaper `The Mercury` reported that the ad was later removed from the site.
A Coles spokesman on Monday admitted the ad had been posted by a contract company responsible for cleaning its Rosny store.
"The ad was placed without Coles` knowledge and we were extremely concerned to learn of the ad and its contents," spokesman Jim Cooper said.
Tasmania`s anti-discrimination commissioner Robin Banks was quoted as saying that she wanted to track down the cleaning contractor to pursue possible legal action.
"It`s unlawful to blanket preclude a person because of their race," she said.
Banks said she often received complaints about job ads that discriminated against particular races.
She said both the company offering the position and the publisher of the advert could be subject to legal action.
"Gumtree is probably in breach (of the law) as well because the Act says you can`t publish, display, etcetera, material that is discriminatory," Banks said, adding "I`ve had other ads in print form and other sites brought to my attention, which I`ve followed up with the publisher. That tends to result in it getting pulled very quickly."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured