No Indians or Asians job advt triggers outrage in Oz
Melbourne: A contractor of Australia`s supermarket chain Coles has come under fire for publishing a job advertisement, which barred Indians or Asians from applying.
"Store requires no Indians or Asians please. Must speak English (sic)", read the online ad posted on Sunday.
The ad on the Gumtree website sought cleaners for a supermarket at Eastlands Shopping Centre in Hobart, according to local media reports.
It triggered outrage on social media sites, with people calling for a boycott of the store.
Local newspaper `The Mercury` reported that the ad was later removed from the site.
A Coles spokesman on Monday admitted the ad had been posted by a contract company responsible for cleaning its Rosny store.
"The ad was placed without Coles` knowledge and we were extremely concerned to learn of the ad and its contents," spokesman Jim Cooper said.
Tasmania`s anti-discrimination commissioner Robin Banks was quoted as saying that she wanted to track down the cleaning contractor to pursue possible legal action.
"It`s unlawful to blanket preclude a person because of their race," she said.
Banks said she often received complaints about job ads that discriminated against particular races.
She said both the company offering the position and the publisher of the advert could be subject to legal action.
"Gumtree is probably in breach (of the law) as well because the Act says you can`t publish, display, etcetera, material that is discriminatory," Banks said, adding "I`ve had other ads in print form and other sites brought to my attention, which I`ve followed up with the publisher. That tends to result in it getting pulled very quickly."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Afghanistan deports 250 Pakistanis due to border tension
- India test fires Scramjet engine, joins elite club of nations
- Trupti Desai enters Haji Ali Dargah in Mumbai; says happy that no one objected us
- Turkish bombardment kills 35 civilians in Syria: Monitor
- 'China will get involved if India foments trouble in Balochistan'