No inquiry over Harry’s nude pics: UK watchdog
London: The Press Complaints Commission has announced that it would not be ‘appropriate’ to investigate The Sun’s publication of photographs of a naked Prince Harry because it could breach his privacy.
Last month, newspapers had been warned by the press watchdog against publishing the images of the prince taken during his private holiday in Las Vegas.
They were used by foreign media and became widely available on the internet, but The Sun defied the advice and published the pictures of the 27-year-old frolicking in the nude with an unnamed woman at the gambling resort.
The royal is said to have engaged in a game of “strip billiards”.
According to PCC, Prince Harry’s representatives had expressed concern about the photographs being published - on privacy grounds.
Since the images appeared in the tabloid, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch, the watchdog has received around 3,800 complaints from members of the public.
On Wednesday night, the PCC said in a statement that it was in “continuing dialogue” with the prince’s representatives, but “as yet has not received a formal complaint”.
It said it would be “best placed” to investigate the publication of the pictures, “including the circumstances in which the photographs were taken” if the Prince’s representatives were formally involved.
“An investigation by the commission, without consent, would have the potential itself to pose an intrusion,” the Telegraph quoted it as saying.
“The commission is grateful to the many members of the public who have contacted it to express concerns about The Sun’s coverage, but has concluded that it would be inappropriate for it to open an investigation at this time for the reasons above,” it said.
The PCC was also asked whether a formal complaint would be made.
“We are still considering matters and will make a decision in our own time,” a St James’s Palace spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’