No link with missing jet captain: Malaysian opposition party
Kuala Lumpur: The main Malaysian opposition party, People`s Justice Party (PKR), Sunday dismissed a report which claimed that Zaharie Ahmad, the captain of the Malaysia Airlines plane that went missing March 8, is a "political fanatic".
PKR communications director Fahmi Fadzil described the report of the British newspaper the Daily Mail as "wild allegations", Xinhua reported.
"If there is any concrete data backing up an allegation, we will respond to it. If anyone aboard (the flight) chose to attend the Anwar trial that is their right as it was in open court," he told English newspaper the Malaysian Star.
The Daily Mail report said that Ahmad commanded the flight several hours after he had attended the sodomy trial of opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim Friday.
Ibrahim was jailed for five years last Friday but was released on bail.
Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 with 239 passengers and crew on board vanished mysteriously about an hour after taking off from Kuala Lumpur early morning March 8. The Boeing 777-200ER was initially presumed to have crashed off the Vietnamese coast in the South China Sea.
The plane lost contact along with its radar signal when it was flying over the air traffic control area of Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam.
Asked if Zaharie Ahmad was often seen at functions organised by PKR or the opposition alliance Pakatan Rakyat (People`s Alliance), he said he didn`t not know Ahmad personally.
"I did not know who he was until the news broke out about the plane last Saturday," said Fahmi.
PKR vice president N. Surendran said there "is not a drop of evidence to support such speculation".
"Let us be fair to the missing captain as well -- he cannot answer for himself," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you