No need to extend NATO`s Libya mission: France

NATO last week announced preliminary plans to wind down the bombing campaign on October 31.

Paris: France`s defence minister says he doesn`t see a need to extend NATO`s mission in Libya, now that Muammar Gaddafi is dead and a new government is in charge.

Gerard Longuet says that the international community should still help the new Libyan leadership but with a new mandate, focusing on political instead of military support.

NATO last week announced preliminary plans to wind down the bombing campaign on October 31, but then on Wednesday unexpectedly postponed a definitive decision amid continuing consultations with the UN and the country`s interim government.
Longuet said on France-Info radio on Thursday, "I don`t exactly understand the need" to keep the operation going. He said the mission is continuing surveillance but is already "being dismantled rather quickly”.

Bureau Report

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close