No nuclear talks with US outside P5+1: Iran
Tehran: Iranian Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi said Sunday that Iran will not hold "independent" talks with the US outside the framework of nuclear negotiations with six world powers, dubbed P5+1, reported Xinhua, citing the semi-official ISNA news agency.
"We don`t have something to be named talks with the United States," said Salehi to queries about the recent media reports that Iran and the US have agreed to hold direct talks over Iran`s nuclear issue.
"We will talk (with the US) within the framework of P5+1 ... and we don`t have (other nuclear) talks independent from that," he was quoted as saying.
On Saturday, the New York Times reported that the US and Iran had agreed for the first time to have one-on-one talks over the latter`s controversial nuclear programme after the upcoming US presidential elections.
The paper said the agreement was the result of intense and secret exchanges between officials of the two countries, which began almost immediately after President Barack Obama took office in January 2009.
The White House Saturday denied the press report. "It`s not true that the United States and Iran have agreed to one-on-one talks or any meeting after the American elections," Tommy Vietor, spokesman of the National Security Council, said in a statement.
"We continue to work with the P5+1 on a diplomatic solution and have said from the outset that we would be prepared to meet bilaterally," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’