No peace talks if Israel continues building: Arabs
United Nations: The newly started
Israeli-Palestinian talks will fail unless Israel extends a
partial ban on settlement building in the West Bank, territory
the Palestinians want for a future state, Arab League chief
Amr Moussa has warned.
Moussa also reacted angrily to a vote earlier in the day
in the UN nuclear agency in Vienna that defeated an Arab call
for Israel to join the nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.
Speaking on the sidelines of the United Nations annual
summit in New York, Moussa said negotiations could not proceed
if building of settlements continued on the occupied West Bank
because it would threaten "the territorial integrity of the
new state of Palestine."
"Negotiations cannot go with settlements," he said
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as said a
partial moratorium on settlement construction will not be
extended when it expires tomorrow.
"If they continue eroding the territorial integrity of
the Palestinian lands, if they continue changing the
demographic composition of the territories, why are the
negotiations conducted, why are we wasting time?" Moussa
Earlier in the week, Moussa met with senior diplomats
from the Quartet of Mideast peacemakers -- the US, the
European Union, the United Nations and Russia -- to discuss a
way forward in the talks. The Quartet also has called on
Israel to extend its settlement freeze.
Israel has refused to do so, arguing that settlement
building was not be an impediment to the talks.
Moussa indirectly criticised the United States and other
Western nations, claiming they were continuing to support
"Defending Israel on everything, even (against) calling
on Israel to join the Nonproliferation Treaty, is something
very, very strange and does not augur well to building
confidence," he said.
He said the Arab effort to get the 151-nation UN nuclear
agency to urge Israel to join the international nuclear treaty
to which all other states in the Middle East belong, failed
after a "worldwide campaign" by Israel`s western allies to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes