No plan for large evacuation from Syria: Russia
Moscow: Russia`s foreign minister says that Moscow has no plans to launch a large-scale evacuation of its citizens from Syria, after 77 Russians left the troubled country and were flown out to Moscow.
Sergey Lavrov said that some 1,000 of tens of thousands of Russians residing in Syria want to leave the country in the midst of civil war that so far has killed over 60,000 people.
Lavrov said that Russia already had pulled out families of diplomats from Syria but has no immediate plan to reduce its Embassy staff, adding that there are contingency plans if the situation changes.
Russia has been the main protector of Syrian President Bashar Assad, shielding him from the United Nations sanctions over his crackdown on an uprising that began in March 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- 7th Pay Commission: Government employees likely to get revised allowances from October
- 'Nervous' Pakistan lodges FIR against Baloch leaders for 'supporting' PM Modi's statement on Balochistan
- Amnesty row: Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara takes U-turn, denies giving clean-chit
- Volkswagen cuts 28,000 workers' hours over supply woes
- 1% TCS on cash buy not to apply on embassies, UN bodies, Govt depts