No plan to build second aircraft carrier: China
Beijing: China, which commissioned its first aircraft carrier this week, has no immediate plans to build a second one, the defence ministry said on Thursday.
Chinese Defence Spokesman, Yang Yujun dismissed foreign media reports saying that China is building a second aircraft carrier in Shanghai which it plans to launch late this year.
"Such reports are inaccurate," Yang was quoted as saying in a statement.
Asked about the reports that the navy will create an aircraft carrier formation in the future and build an aircraft carrier base in the eastern Chinese city of Qingdao, Yang said "the formation is generally made up of the aircraft carrier itself, escort vessels, submarines and aircraft."
Earlier reports in the official media here said China plans to build three aircraft carriers in the next few years to beef up its global naval presence.
Yang said China will plan the development of aircraft carriers in an all-round way, taking its national economic and social development and the needs of national defence and military construction into account.
China launched its first aircraft carrier `Liaoning` on Tuesday, propelling its fast expanding navy`s blue-water capability beyond its territorial waters at a time when the neighbourhood is witnessing high-voltage tensions in Sino-Japan ties.
The 60,000-tonne carrier Varyag, a former Soviet ship was bought from Ukraine and later refurbished locally, to install engines, weapons, as well as a year-long sea trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!