No plan to build second aircraft carrier: China
Beijing: China, which commissioned its first aircraft carrier this week, has no immediate plans to build a second one, the defence ministry said on Thursday.
Chinese Defence Spokesman, Yang Yujun dismissed foreign media reports saying that China is building a second aircraft carrier in Shanghai which it plans to launch late this year.
"Such reports are inaccurate," Yang was quoted as saying in a statement.
Asked about the reports that the navy will create an aircraft carrier formation in the future and build an aircraft carrier base in the eastern Chinese city of Qingdao, Yang said "the formation is generally made up of the aircraft carrier itself, escort vessels, submarines and aircraft."
Earlier reports in the official media here said China plans to build three aircraft carriers in the next few years to beef up its global naval presence.
Yang said China will plan the development of aircraft carriers in an all-round way, taking its national economic and social development and the needs of national defence and military construction into account.
China launched its first aircraft carrier `Liaoning` on Tuesday, propelling its fast expanding navy`s blue-water capability beyond its territorial waters at a time when the neighbourhood is witnessing high-voltage tensions in Sino-Japan ties.
The 60,000-tonne carrier Varyag, a former Soviet ship was bought from Ukraine and later refurbished locally, to install engines, weapons, as well as a year-long sea trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets