No political asylum for Gaddafi: Russia
Moscow: Russia on Monday categorically ruled
out political asylum for the embattled Libyan leader Muammar
Gaddafi in the country.
"This last question has been answered on more than one
occasion - the answer is negative," Foreign Minister Sergei
Lavrov said when asked by reporters whether Gaddafi could come
to Russia to live in exile.
Responding to a host of questions about Libya at a
joint press interaction with his visiting Azerbaijani
counterpart, Lavrov said: "Moscow recognises the Transitional
National Council of Libya (TNC) as a negotiating partner, but
not as the only legitimate representative of the Libyan
He criticised the recognition of the TNC as the sole
legitimate representative of the Libyans saying it tantamount
to siding with one party in a civil war, Interfax reported.
Last Friday, the Libya Contact Group comprising of
about 40 states, as well as representative of the United
Nations, the Arab League and the African Union recognised the
TNC as "the legitimate governing authority in Libya" until the
establishment of an interim authority.
The Kremlin`s Africa envoy Mikhail Margelov had been
shuttling between Tripoli and Benghazi to broke a peace deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'