No post-war role of Bashar al-Assad in Syria: US
London: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad would have no role in a political settlement to Syria`s conflict, US Secretary of State John Kerry has said.
Kerry`s comments came after reports that the US was softening its insistence on Assad`s departure as a precondition for any deal - as demanded by rebels.
According to the BBC, speaking to reporters in Rome, Kerry said Jordan`s Foreign Minister Nasser Judeh would work with the US on ``a transition government by mutual consent of both sides, which clearly means that in our judgement President Assad will not be a component of that transitional government``.
The conference will try to persuade both the Syrian government and opposition to accept a solution based on the final communiqué of a meeting of the UN-backed Action Group for Syria last June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa