No post-war role of Bashar al-Assad in Syria: US
London: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad would have no role in a political settlement to Syria`s conflict, US Secretary of State John Kerry has said.
Kerry`s comments came after reports that the US was softening its insistence on Assad`s departure as a precondition for any deal - as demanded by rebels.
According to the BBC, speaking to reporters in Rome, Kerry said Jordan`s Foreign Minister Nasser Judeh would work with the US on ``a transition government by mutual consent of both sides, which clearly means that in our judgement President Assad will not be a component of that transitional government``.
The conference will try to persuade both the Syrian government and opposition to accept a solution based on the final communiqué of a meeting of the UN-backed Action Group for Syria last June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder