No post-war role of Bashar al-Assad in Syria: US
London: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad would have no role in a political settlement to Syria`s conflict, US Secretary of State John Kerry has said.
Kerry`s comments came after reports that the US was softening its insistence on Assad`s departure as a precondition for any deal - as demanded by rebels.
According to the BBC, speaking to reporters in Rome, Kerry said Jordan`s Foreign Minister Nasser Judeh would work with the US on ``a transition government by mutual consent of both sides, which clearly means that in our judgement President Assad will not be a component of that transitional government``.
The conference will try to persuade both the Syrian government and opposition to accept a solution based on the final communiqué of a meeting of the UN-backed Action Group for Syria last June.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative