No post-war role of Bashar al-Assad in Syria: US
London: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad would have no role in a political settlement to Syria`s conflict, US Secretary of State John Kerry has said.
Kerry`s comments came after reports that the US was softening its insistence on Assad`s departure as a precondition for any deal - as demanded by rebels.
According to the BBC, speaking to reporters in Rome, Kerry said Jordan`s Foreign Minister Nasser Judeh would work with the US on ``a transition government by mutual consent of both sides, which clearly means that in our judgement President Assad will not be a component of that transitional government``.
The conference will try to persuade both the Syrian government and opposition to accept a solution based on the final communiqué of a meeting of the UN-backed Action Group for Syria last June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends