No real Gaza war probes by Israel, Hamas: Report
Ramallah: Israel and Hamas have failed to conduct credible investigations of alleged war crimes during last year`s Gaza war, Human Rights Watch said in a 62-page review of those efforts on Sunday.
The New York-based group urged the international community to pressure both sides to launch independent investigations before a July deadline set by the United Nations. Earlier this year, the UN warned of "further action" if the deadline is ignored, though it is not clear if Israel and Hamas could end up before an international tribunal.
"We want to encourage serious investigations in Israel and Gaza that look honestly at the many allegations of violations during the conflict," said Human Rights Watch researcher Fred Abrahams. "To date, Israel`s investigations have fallen way short of international standards, and Hamas has not conducted any serious investigations at all."
The Israeli government has rejected demands to set up an independent inquiry outside the military.
Both Israel and Hamas have denied committing war crimes.
Israel launched its 22-day war on Gaza`s Hamas rulers on December 27, 2008, after years of rocket fire from Gaza on Israeli border communities. Israel unleashed massive force, killing some 1,400 Palestinians, including hundreds of civilians. Thirteen Israeli civilians and soldiers were also killed.
UN investigators headed by former war crimes prosecutor Richard Goldstone wrote in a report last year that they found evidence that both sides committed war crimes. Hamas was cited for indiscriminate rocket fire on Israeli civilians, while Israel was accused of using disproportionate force and intentionally harming civilians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations