No real Gaza war probes by Israel, Hamas: Report
Ramallah: Israel and Hamas have failed to conduct credible investigations of alleged war crimes during last year`s Gaza war, Human Rights Watch said in a 62-page review of those efforts on Sunday.
The New York-based group urged the international community to pressure both sides to launch independent investigations before a July deadline set by the United Nations. Earlier this year, the UN warned of "further action" if the deadline is ignored, though it is not clear if Israel and Hamas could end up before an international tribunal.
"We want to encourage serious investigations in Israel and Gaza that look honestly at the many allegations of violations during the conflict," said Human Rights Watch researcher Fred Abrahams. "To date, Israel`s investigations have fallen way short of international standards, and Hamas has not conducted any serious investigations at all."
The Israeli government has rejected demands to set up an independent inquiry outside the military.
Both Israel and Hamas have denied committing war crimes.
Israel launched its 22-day war on Gaza`s Hamas rulers on December 27, 2008, after years of rocket fire from Gaza on Israeli border communities. Israel unleashed massive force, killing some 1,400 Palestinians, including hundreds of civilians. Thirteen Israeli civilians and soldiers were also killed.
UN investigators headed by former war crimes prosecutor Richard Goldstone wrote in a report last year that they found evidence that both sides committed war crimes. Hamas was cited for indiscriminate rocket fire on Israeli civilians, while Israel was accused of using disproportionate force and intentionally harming civilians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!