No return deal with pro-Russian separatists: Malaysian Deputy PM
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysia on Wednesday said the pro-Russian separatists did not get anything in return for handing over Malaysia Airlines flight MH17`s black boxes and the remains of victims.
Deputy premier Muhyiddin Yassin said there was "no deal" involved in the agreement made with Alexander Borodai, the leader of the Russian separatists.
His remarks came in response to questions raised by several Opposition MPs in Parliament who wanted to know if the separatists had asked for anything in return.
"It was done in a smart way by the Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak. He told me there were no other deals. There were only the three agreements we outlined," said Muhyiddin.
The three conditions were: the return of the remains of those who lost their lives, the handover of the black boxes and full access to the crash site so that the investigation may begin.
He said the Government had formed a special investigation team comprising representatives from the police, the Department of Civil Aviation and other relevant agencies, adding that every effort would be taken to ensure the responsible parties are brought to justice.
He also said in order to bring the perpetrators to justice, the Government will use Malaysian laws which have extra-territorial criminal applications like the Penal Code and the Aviation Offences Act 1984.
The Boeing 777 was on a scheduled flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur when it was shot down over pro-Russia rebels-held territory of the eastern Ukraine on July 17 killing all the 298 people on board, including 43 Malaysians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Make your smoothie a successful summer diet with these magical ingredients!
- Delhi govt introduces 'Change-makers in education' fellowship
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'