No Russian submarine near US: Pentagon
Moscow: The Pentagon on Thursday denied media reports that a Russian nuclear submarine cruised unnoticed for several weeks in the Gulf of Mexico near the shores of the US.
"I don`t know what that information was based on, but it was not correct," Wendy Snyder, a Pentagon spokesperson said.
The Washington Free Beacon reported earlier that Russia`s Akula class nuclear submarine (Project 971) freely travelled in June and July in the waters of the Gulf of Mexico undetected by the US Navy.
A spokesperson for the Russian Defence Ministry neither confirmed nor denied media reports on Thursday, saying only that all information on the movement of Russian submarines around the world is classified.
The Akula is the main class of submarines employed by the Russian Navy. It has greater stealth capabilities than earlier models and is capable of carrying long-range ballistic missiles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened