No stoning sentence against Iranian woman: Ahmadinejad
Tehran: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad insisted that there has never been a sentence of death by stoning against a woman accused of adultery and complicity in the death of her husband.
"Someone in Germany has spread false news in this regard which led to all the commotions against Iran," he said in an interview with the US-based ABC News network aired on Sunday.
His remarks contradicted earlier statements by officials in Tehran, who said Sakineh Mohammadi-Ashtiani, 43, was sentenced to death for adultery but the verdict is currently under review. Initial news of the stoning sentence provoked strong international criticism.
Ahmadinejad, who is in New York to attend the annual UN General Assembly, said that even if the woman was guilty, she would still have the chance to go through four instances of appeal.
A woman claiming to be Mohammadi-Ashtiani confessed last month on Iranian state television that she not only had a sexual liaison with her husband`s cousin, but also helped the cousin to kill her spouse after having drugged him.
The woman also criticised lawyer Mohammad Mostafaei, saying that she had to suffer shame after he made the case internationally known.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know